Registration for Spring 2014 Courses
What is Registration?
Registration is your opportunity to plan your courses for next semester, meet with your advisor, and then register for classes. Because the engineering curriculum is structured, and courses are not offered every semester, it is extremely important to meet with your advisor during the registration period to discuss your progress.
After meeting with your advisor to select courses, register for them using SPIRE during your assigned enrollment appointment time. SPIRE enrollment appointment times are assigned as follows: Seniors (Nov 12-13); Juniors (Nov 15-16); Sophomores (Nov 18-19); Freshmen (Nov 21-22).
When is Advising for Registration?
Dates and procedures differ in each engineering Department. See your major’s (or your intended major if Pr-Engin) department-specific web pages for dates on when and how meetings and advising will occur and how to schedule an appointment.
- Oct 28-30: Sign up for an advising appointment on your advisor's door;
- Nov. 5-22: Advising meetings are held.
- For complete information, see:http://engineering.umass.edu/registration/che
- Nov. 6: Advising meeting held 4-7pm in the Engineering Student Center in Marcus Hall.
- For complete information, see:http://engineering.umass.edu/registration/cee
Electrical & Computer Systems Engineering:
- Oct 28 - Nov 1: Sign up for advising appointments in M5 (Marcus Hall, Rm 5)
- Nov 4 - 20: Advising meetings are held;
- For complete information, see:http://engineering.umass.edu/registration/ece
Mechanical & Industrial Engineering:
- Nov. 6, 7, 8: Sign up for an advising appointment on your advisor's door;
- Nov. 8 - 15: Advising meetings are held.
- For complete information, see:http://engineering.umass.edu/registration/mie
Where do I pick up my Registration materials?
Please pick up registration materials (Course Selection Form and Curriculum Worksheet) in the Office of Student Affairs, 126 Marston Hall or from departmental offices. Departmental office locations are:
- Chemical Engineering – (outside of) 158F Goessmann
- Civil Engineering – 226 Marston Hall
- Electrical & Computer Systems – M5 (Marcus Hall, Room 5)
- Mechanical & Industrial – (outside of) 208F ELab
Please pick up and complete all materials before meeting with advisors. Your Department may ask you to also bring an unofficial transcript or academic requirements report (both can be printed in SPIRE).
Where is my Academic Requirements Report? From your SPIRE student center, find the "other academic" dropdown menu on the left side. Choose "academic requirements". When you get the report, select "expand all" to see the requirements you have met and those you still need to fulfill.
Who is my Advisor?
The Advisor assigned to you is posted in your SPIRE account. If you do not have an advisor, check in the Office of Student Affairs, Marston 126.
What if I miss Advising?
It is extremely important to follow the advising procedures set up in your department. If you do not attend your designated advising session, a HOLD will be placed on your SPIRE account. You will be unable to register for classes and/or make changes to your schedule, until the HOLD is lifted. HOLDs will be lifted at the time and discretion of your departmental Chief Undergraduate Advisor.
Who is the Chief Undergraduate Advisor/Undergraduate Program Director in my department? The Chief Undergraduate Advisors/Undergraduate Program Directors are:
Chemical Engineering: Jeffrey Davis, email@example.com
Civil & Environmental Engineering: David Ahlfeld, firstname.lastname@example.org
Electrical & Computer Engineering: T. Baird Soules, email@example.com
Mechanical & Industrial Engineering: James R. Rinderle, firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a PR-Engin. How do I get into my engineering major? Each engineering department has their own specific criteria for admission. See your department's registration webpages for detailed information.
Questions? Call or stop by the Office of Student Affairs, 126 Marston Hall, 413-545-2035.